Friday, March 22, 2013

So I have booked a ticket finally, with Air India, to travel from Frankfurt to New Delhi!

There was a confusion about how much baggage allowance will I get as a student.

So obviously I tried calling the customer care service, but as you would guess, there were lots of bottlenecks in such a complicated mission!

So while I was waiting on one of the phone calls I made, I decided to write an angry mail about it to the Air India offices... Here it goes:

Dear Employees of Air India,

I would like to bring your attention to the deeply flawed service commitments of Air India. 
Which is the prime reason why people don't like flying with you, which as an Indian, I feel deeply ashamed of.
Because its not the infrastructure you have which is causing the problem, but the attitude of the employees!

Please read carefully and imagine yourself in this situation. 

The context is, I was calling from Germany to inquire about baggage allowance for students. 

Here are some facts which I noticed in last 30 minutes flat,

1. the frequent flyer's calling desk numbers given on airindia.com are wrong. 

2. I called the other numbers given above that, they are mostly busy, and even when they ring, your employees don't simply pick up the phone. I had to call like 10 times to get through. 

3. Then the person who addressed the call did not have any information about the international flyers helpline center, not even any contact number. 

4. So I called the Mumbai office where I got the phone number (+9122 22796666), where the operator put me on hold. I was on hold for around 4 minutes, when the line disconnected. 

5. I called again the above number, asked for a transfer to international flying queries, where I was very politely told that they also don't have any information on the international baggage allowance and that I should call Frankfurt office for further information. They put me on hold for another 5 minutes, while I was writing this email, and now I have got the phone numbers of Frankfurt office. I sincerely hope they can be of any use. 

6. Ok, so I called the number they gave, which was again wrong, so I got the reservation manager's number from there. The issue has been solved, but totally against my interest and satisfaction.

7. I was told that I would get a student luggage allowance of 46 kgs only if I have booked my tickets via a travel agent. Since I booked it online there is no such possibility. I am extremely sad about this over all. I thought booking from Air India website would be better for Air India's profit. YES, I am that big a patriot!

8. As far as I know, there will be minor delays in flight as well, as most of the Air India passengers have told me. Still I wanted to fly with you. 

9. Finally, I do not think I wanna go through these problems again ever, 1 hour wasted in telephone calls only! I don't think I would like to travel by Air India again.

I sincerely hope things would change from your end. It kills me to see how poorly the national airline is operating; its like a shame for the nation. 
Its not just about the prices, its about relationships. How I wish all my queries would have been solved in one phone call! 
Oh, and how I wish I could even navigate the ticket booking section of Air India, and many other countless things. 

Best wishes
A true Indian at heart



No comments: